Invite a friend
Winter Preparedness discussion at the Timbers
A professional from Newsome Home Care will present a talk titled “Winter Preparedness” at 2 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 13, at The Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Rd., Shorewood. The public is welcome to attend this free event.
It is important to prepare for a safe and healthy upcoming season. Flu vaccinations are recommended for everyone who is at least 6 months of age, especially seniors. They are among those most at risk for developing serious complications like pneumonia if they develop the flu.
The Pneumococcal Vaccine is good at preventing severe disease, hospitalization and death. However, it is not guaranteed to prevent infection and symptoms in all people.
The Pneumococcal Vaccination is recommended for:
• All adults 65 years and older
• Anyone who has a long-term health problem
• Anyone with a disease or condition that lowers the body’s resistance to infection
• Anyone taking a drug or treatment that lowers the body’s resistant to infection
• Person with Asthma or a smoker
• Residents of nursing homes, long-term care facilities and assisted living facilities
Statistically, seniors are also more prone to hypothermia (a drop in body temperature below 96 degrees), driving accidents due to weather conditions, home fires and injuries resulting from falls in the winter months.
Here are some tips for staying safe:
• Limit time spent out of doors and wear multiple layers of clothing.
• Consume warm meals and drinks.
• Keep the temperature between at least 65-70 degrees at home.
• Keep areas around heaters free of clothing, bedding, curtains, etc.
• Wear proper skid-resistant footwear and avoid icy areas and snowy sidewalks when possible.
• Winterize the car by checking antifreeze levels, tire tread and pressure, and the windshield wipers.
The Timbers of Shorewood is a rental retirement community which provides independent and assisted living apartments and a full schedule of activities and services. Furnished apartments are also available for a short-term stay - a weekend, a week, a month or longer.
This event is free and open to the public. For more information call Shelly Goggins at 815-609-0669.
More About The Timbers of Shorewood
The Timbers of Shorewood is a retirement community and assisted living facility located in Shorewood. The facility offers both independent- and assisted-living apartments for rent to seniors. For individuals who want to live at The Timbers on a short-term basis, furnished apartments are available. All apartments include housekeeping and linen service as well as transportation to nearby locations for appointments and errands. Other facility amenities include a library, recreational activities, a movie theater, a salon and complimentary internet access. Assisted living services include reminders to take medication, 24-hour caregiver access, bathing assistance and escorts to meals. For further inquiries, please phone The Timbers of Shorewood.
Other events here
- Timbers' Sing-a-long at Timbers of Shorewood Weekly on Sundays, 6:30 pm
- 8th Annual Health Expo at the Timbers Wed, May 29, 9:00 am–12:00 pm
- Larry Levin - the "One Man Band" - performs at the Timbers Thu, May 30, 6:30 pm