With all of the tree trimming, cookie baking and partygoing, there is so much to do during the holidays that it's easy to forget someone on your Christmas list. And, now it is Christmas Eve and you are probably going to find that most places are not open until Dec. 26. Fear not, though, we can help you find a great gift even if you have to buy it in a non-glamorous fashion. Or heck, we will even give you some suggestions for making gifts.
- Make homemade muffins. I shared my own cranberry-orange muffin recipe here. I'm not saying it's fabulous, but I was told on Thanksgiving that it was fine if I left early, but I better leave enough muffins for everyone to have with dinner. You can make about 36 mini muffins for about $5.
- Order a photo collage print. While there isn't time to do a locally-owned store, you can order these through Walgreens or Wal-Mart. The Walgreens at Ridge Road and Jefferson is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Dec. 24. They are closed on Christmas Day. They will re-open at 8 a.m., Dec. 26. The Walgreens on Hammes and Jefferson in Joliet is open on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The Wal-mart at 2424 W. Jefferson in Joliet is open on Monday until 8 p.m. They are not open on Dec. 25. When you go to pick up the finished product, buy a pretty frame to go with it.
- Go to the Web site of a local florist and order flowers to be delivered. You will pay an extra fee because you procrastinated, but as of Sunday night, the flowers could still get there by Christmas. We visited Palmer Florist's Web site.
- Cracker Barrel in Joliet is open on Dec. 24 from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. You can buy lots of gifts in their Country Store. You can even shop ahead of time online by clicking here.
- Put together a book gift. Find a children's or adult's book at any store that is still open and pair it with a notebook and a pen. This is especially good for children, whom you can encourage to get creative when they are finished reading.
Tell us: What are some of your own last-minute gift ideas? Share in the comments below.