President Obama spoke to the nation this morning and presented a proposal to reduce gun violence.
Click here to view video of the president's proposal, or click on the video accompanying this article.
"I will put everything I've got into this and so will Joe [Biden]," Obama said in his closing remarks today.
Of particular note in his proposal, Obama called for the following:
- Reinstate lapsed ban on assault weapons and high capacity magazines.
- Requiring background checks on all gun purchases.
- Ban armor piercing ammunition.
- Called on Congress to confirm a new director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.
- Improve access to mental health services and provide information to mental health professionals who want to report threats of violence.
- Provide incentives for schools to hire resource officers, should they choose to, to step up school security.
Did you see the president's address this morning? Tell us what you thought in comments below. Do Obama's recommendations seem like a common sense approach to you, or are you concerned about the rights of gun owners?