A girl suffered horrible burns while washing her hands in a Shorewood bathroom, according to a lawsuit filed in Will County court.
The lawsuit was brought on behalf of Scarlett McPhillips-Newcomb by her mother, Bonnie McPhillips-Newcomb. Scarlett is a minor, according to the lawsuit, which does not specify her age.
Scarlett was "attempting to wash her hands in a bathroom faucet" in a Ranchwood Drive house when she suffered "severe and permanent third-degree burns on her hands" in April, the lawsuit said.
Third-degree burns "involve all layers of the skin and cause permanent tissue damage," according to the Mayo Clinic's website.
"Fat, muscle and even bone may be affected," the site said. "Areas may be charred black or appear dry and white."
Scarlett's hands may have been burned due to a water heater that was left to "remain in an unreasonably dangerous condition, in that it caused water to be heated to a degree that was unsafe for washing hands within the home," the lawsuit said.
The lawsuit identified the owners of the home as Lisa and John Dobbyn and named the couple as defendants.